There’s so much to love about Govee’s lightstrip, particularly when it comes to vivid, colourful visuals, however occasional platform disconnects and a few Matter hurdles means you may need to wait till extra choices grow to be out there.
Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 overview: At a look
- What’s it? The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 is an improve of present Govee lightstrips that makes it the corporate’s first product with common pairing through Matter. It really works equally nicely with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google House, or you possibly can merely depend on the Govee House app.
- What’s the value? Govee lists a 5m/16.4ft model of the LED Strip Gentle M1 for $99.99 within the US, £119.99 within the UK, and €119.99 in continental Europe, however regularly gives substantial reductions. If yow will discover them, smaller kits needs to be cheaper.
- The place can you purchase it? You should buy the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 direct from Govee, and thru numerous third-party retailers like Amazon.
- How did we check it? I examined a shorter, 2m/6.56ft model of the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 for one week, paired with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google House. The overview unit was provided by Govee.
- Is it value it? The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 is a vivid and enticing lightstrip that pairs with all three main sensible dwelling platforms, however past Matter help and a few Govee House options, there’s nothing particular and it’s possible you’ll encounter technical points. That stated, it’s going to do the job if yow will discover it at an appropriate value.
Do you have to purchase the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1?
Roger Fingas / Android Authority
Though the Matter 1.0 spec first launched in late 2022, suitable sensible dwelling equipment have been gradual to roll out. That’s very true with lightstrips — in actual fact, the one different Matter-compatible strip available on the market as of the M1’s launch is Nanoleaf’s Important Matter mannequin. That product additionally requires a Thread border router, so Govee’s Wi-Fi-based strip is an enormous deal.
After setup within the Govee House app, I efficiently used Matter to pair with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google House, however there have been some hiccups. For instance, I began with HomeKit, however the Matter QR code taped to our check strip was so small that the Apple House app couldn’t scan it. With out a bodily copy wherever else, the one choices have been to learn the numeric code from that tape or pull a code up in Govee House. I additionally needed to swap from an iPhone to an Android cellphone to pair with Google House, since Google has but to allow Matter pairing on iOS. Even on Android, it took just a few tries to pair.
The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 usually behaves such as you’d anticipate in paired platforms, together with automation help and voice management. It doesn’t help platform-specific options like HomeKit’s Adaptive Lighting, however you do have customary management over brightness and (strong) colours. You’ll have to make use of the Govee House app to set off multi-color results, the excellent news being that there are many presets and full customization.
Govee’s lightstrip definitely delivers in output. Whereas the corporate appears oddly detest to share max lumen rankings, it will get as vivid as you may need, and its colour is each correct and well-saturated. Visually, in actual fact, I most popular it to Nanoleaf’s strip which I additionally examined not too long ago.
The Govee M1 is the one Wi-Fi lightstrip with Matter proper now.
Sadly, just a few issues cease the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 from getting a full advice. Above all are technical points — other than Matter quirks, the lightstrip often misplaced contact with a number of sensible dwelling platforms throughout testing, regardless of my having an Eero Professional 6E router simply inches away. I used to be capable of pressure it to reconnect by unplugging the strip for a second and plugging it again in, however this made the Govee House app or the included distant probably the most dependable management choices, considerably defeating the purpose of a Matter-enabled product.
It additionally suffers from its reliance on Wi-Fi. It’s noticeably slower to react than lights based mostly on Thread or Zigbee, and naturally, you’ll want a Wi-Fi router that’s each in vary and never overly saturated with connections. Nonetheless, you probably have a Matter controller (like an Echo or Google Nest speaker) however nothing that helps Thread, that is your solely Matter-compatible choice for now.
Lastly, I’ll word that I wasn’t impressed by Govee’s music sync choices. You may solely sync out of your cellphone or the distant’s built-in speaker, and all of Govee’s sync patterns appear to imagine you’re listening to high-energy pop, rock, rap, or EDM. When listening to genres like ambient or energy electronics, the flickering brought on by music sync initially made me suppose the M1 was damaged.
Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 (16.4ft)
Common Matter pairing • Shiny and colourful • Comparatively reasonably priced
The M1 lightstrip is Govee’s first-ever sensible gentle with Matter.
Govee has upgraded its customary lightstrip with Matter, permitting it to pair with all main sensible dwelling platforms together with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google House. Some particular options can be found solely within the Govee House app.
What are the most effective Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 alternate options?
Roger Fingas / Android Authority
There are many sensible lightstrips available on the market, but just a few match the invoice of being each high-quality and supporting all three main sensible dwelling platforms. So far as pricing goes, word that all the costs beneath are for strips within the six- to seven-foot vary.
- Nanoleaf Necessities Matter Lightstrip ($148.99 at Amazon): The Nanoleaf Necessities Matter lightstrip requires each a Matter controller and a Thread border router, however with these in tow, you’ll get faster response and the advantages of Thread’s mesh know-how. We did have hassle getting Matter pairing to work with Google House.
- Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus (€2199 at Amazon): This Philips Hue strip is decidedly costlier, not the least as a result of it requires a Zigbee-based Hue Bridge/Sensible Hub when you don’t have one. Hue merchandise are famously dependable although, and also you’ll get Alexa, HomeKit, and Google House help with out Matter.
- LIFX Lightstrip ($279.99 at Samsung): The LIFX lighstrip might be your most suitable option if you would like a Wi-Fi strip that provides Alexa, HomeKit, and Google House compatibility sans Matter. It does include the downsides of Wi-Fi, and stays pricier than Govee or Nanoleaf’s choices relative to size.
Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 overview: Q&A
Sure. As with most sensible lightstrips, the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 has pre-marked cutpoints. You may’t reattach minimize sections, a minimum of not with out soldering instruments.
The longest base equipment for the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 is 16.4 toes (about 5m), however extension kits can be found.
We advocate Philips Hue lightstrips for his or her reliability, although they’re costly, particularly since they require a hub. There are different perks which may justify Hue, akin to sync with Spotify or Razer Chroma.
The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 does have Bluetooth for pairing, however it primarily connects through 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. You’ll additionally see the Govee House app set up a Bluetooth hyperlink once you’re shut by.
The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 isn’t, however the firm does make out of doors lightstrips. You’ll have to purchase a type of for waterproofing.
Leave a Reply